What is it?
Do you want to create a better, more respectful digital world for children and young people? Are you perhaps -
- Excited about supporting others, especially in learning?
- Interested in engaging with businesses and supporting them to be more ethical around their activities in the digital world?
- Passionate about young people’s rights, and can be creative and innovative in raising awareness?
- Buzzing with ideas about how new tech can be developed with young people’s rights at heart?
- A budding event designer – and love gathering people to celebrate?
If it’s a yes from you to any of the above, and you are between 11 and 15 – join us in the 5Rights Youth Leadership Group!
After a 15-month investigation, the Young Scot 5Rights Youth Commission published their recommendations to the Scottish Government in May 2017, on how Scotland can realise children and young people’s rights in the digital world. We are now looking for 15 young people from all across Scotland to further develop and implement some of their original recommendations.
What will you do?
You will spend 12 months investigating how we can implement seven of the 5Rights Youth Commission’s recommendations. This will involve speaking to key organisations, leaders and decision-makers to scope out how they can be delivered. It will also involve some investigation work in your own time. As a Youth Leader you will take part in 6-8 core meetings throughout the year, plus various other events.
What are we looking for?
You don’t need any formal qualifications, just an interest in the issues surrounding young people, Scotland and your digital world. You should be able to work within a group, and have the flexibility, commitment and willingness to travel across Scotland throughout 2017-2018.
What will you get?
These are voluntary positions, but we will provide travel expenses and accommodation where necessary. Training and support throughout the 12 months will also be provided, including access to a youth facilitator. You will also get:
- A chance to boost your CV as a member of Scotland’s 5Rights Youth Leadership Group
- Achieve recognition for your involvement through accreditation such as Youth Achievement Award and the Saltire Awards
- Receive in-depth training to support you in your role as a 5Rights Youth Leader
- Increase your confidence, your communications skills and be empowered to challenge decision makers
- Challenge yourself to be innovative and create wild ideas
- Make friends for life – our volunteers have the opportunity to meet other young people from across Scotland
This is your chance to make a difference – apply now via the application form below, or click here to download a paper copy. If you have any questions at all contact the Young Scot team for free on 0808 801 0338 or email 5Rights@young.scot. The closing date for applications is Friday 13th October 2017, and a selection day will be held on Saturday, 21st October 2017 in the Young Scot offices in Edinburgh. If you have been invited to attend the selection day, but you cannot attend, we will arrange to Skype or call you.
9 Haymarket Terrace