Student Funding – it’s time to apply! in Spending
Studying at college or university can be expensive, but SAAS are there to help. You just need to apply!
There can be a lot of costs involved when studying at college or university, including tuition fees, accommodation, books and general bills. The Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) offer a range of support to help but you don’t receive it automatically, you need to apply. Visit the SAAS website to register your new SAAS Account and get started!
What support is available?
The support you're entitled to will depend on your eligibility, circumstances, and where you are going to study, but could include:
- Tuition fees paid for you, or a loan to cover the cost of your tuition. Even if you only want your tuition fees paid, you still have to apply to SAAS.
- A bursary of up to £2000 (£8100 for care experienced students)
- A loan of up to £6750 to help with accommodation and living costs
- Support for additional learning costs if you have a disability
- Additional support for students in special circumstances such as those who are care experienced, lone parents, or are providing care
If you're a full-time student and want more information then check out the SAAS Undergraduate Funding Guide.
If you are a Postgraduate student, you can apply to SAAS for funding if you are studying a course that SAAS fund and meet the residency criteria. If you are studying a full time course which SAAS fund, you can apply for a tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 and a living cost loan of £4,500.
Part time postgraduate students can only apply for the tuition fee loan of £5,500 and this will be split between the amount of years you study.
If you're a postgraduate student and want more information check out the Postgraduate Funding Guide on the SAAS website.
How will I receive my funding?
Your tuition fees will be paid directly to your college or university. Any living costs support (such as a loan or bursary) will be paid directly into your bank account in installments once you've started your course.
I’m already a student so do I still have to apply?
Yes. Even if you applied last year, you still have to apply again to get tuition fees and living costs support for your next year.
If I get a loan, when will I have to pay it back?
You will not normally have to make any repayments while you're studying. You start repaying the student loan after you leave your course, and are earning over £18,330 a year.
How can I get in touch with SAAS?
SAAS will be open over several weekends in the run up to the end of June 2019 and these dates will be available on their website nearer the time.
Young Scot Rewards
Did you know you can earn 1000 Young Scot Rewards points for signing up with SAAS?
- In you sort out your funding in April you will get a massive 1000 points!
- Secure your funding in May and you'll receive 750 points
- And if you apply in June you'll get 500 points
Find out more here.