Veggie Chilli Recipe in Lifestyle
Chef, Loz Atkinson, has shared this recipe for a tasty chilli that is good for you and easy to make! It takes around 40 minutes to prepare and serves 4 people. Plus, you can get 10% off all the ingredients at your local Scotmid.
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large clove of garlic
- ½ punnet of closed cup mushrooms
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans (rinsed well in cold water)
- 1 TBSP maple syrup (or white sugar)
- 1 TBSP cooking oil
- ½ TBSP chilli powder
- ½ TBSP cumin, or paprika (optional)
- ½ TBSP oregano (optional)
- Finely dice the onions into 1cm chunks.
- De-seed the peppers and cut into 2 cm chunks.
- Skin and then mince or finely chop the garlic clove.
- Skin and slice the mushrooms length ways down the stalks.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pan. Add the diced onions. Cook for 2 minutes on a low to medium heat until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds stirring regularly. Add the chilli powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute continuing to stir.
- Next add the mushrooms and the peppers, cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add the chopped tomatoes; allow to heat through for 5 minutes before adding 1 TBSP of maple syrup. Finally add the kidney beans. Simmer for 20 minutes on a low to medium heat. Add the oregano at the end to give a more authentic Mexican flavor.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This is a versatile dish, which can be served with white rice, on a baked potato or baked sweet potato, fajitas, burrito wraps or nachos. Also ideal for home freezing (up to 3 months), just allow to cool in portioned Tupperware before popping in the freezer.