Whip Up This Tasty Pudding in 7 Simple Steps! in Lifestyle
A healthy, summertime treat using seasonal summer berries. Help celebrate Scotland's Year of Food & Drink 2015 and enjoy a real taste of Scotland. You could even try picking your own!
This delicious fruity recipes comes form the Greener Scotland recipe finder app!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins for the berries, plus chilling overnight or for at least 6-7 hours
- 8 slices of day-old white bread
- 800g of mixed seasonal berries e.g. strawberries, tayberries (if available), redcurrants and raspberries
- 50g golden caster sugar
- Prepare and wash the fruit and gently dry on kitchen paper - keep the strawberries separate. Put the sugar and the berries (not the strawberries) into a large pan. Cook for 3-5 mins over a low heat, stirring 2-3 times until the sugar has dissolved and the juices begin to run. The fruit will be softened, mostly intact and surrounded by dark red juice. Allow the mixture to cool and add the strawberries.
- To line the pudding bowl put a slice of bread in the bottom and then start to put the slices around the sides making sure that they overlap and pushing together the edges to make a seal. Putting small bits of bread into any gaps and trimming to fit if need be.
- Ensure that there are no gaps in the bread lining so that the juices can’t escape when you put the fruit in.
- Once you have lined the bowl put the berry mixture into the bowl using a slotted spoon, pouring over a little extra juice if needed, just enough to moisten the bread. Then put another slice of bread over the top of the pudding to seal in the fruit. Reserve any extra juices.
- Place a small plate or saucer on top of the bowl and weigh down with a weight of about a kilo or use a couple of tins from the cupboard.
- The next day remove the weight and the small plate. Take a large plate and put it over the pudding bowl. Turn the bowl upside down and the pudding should come out easily. If not run a sharp knife around the edge of the bowl and try again.
- Spoon some of the reserved juices and any fruit that you have over the pudding take to the table and cut a slice for each person and serve with a little crème fraîche. Low fat crème fraîche to serve. And enjoy!
Here is your Rewards Points code: JSET8T.