What Is Cultural Diversity? in Identity
What is cultural diversity? And what you can do to ensure you, your friends and your family all appreciate the varying and different cultures people come from.
What is cultural diversity?
Cultural diversity is about appreciating that society is made up of many different groups with different interests, skills, talents and needs. It also means that you recognise that people in society can have differing religious beliefs and sexual orientations to you.
What is equality?
Equality is about people being treated fairly, equally and specifically to their needs. It’s about inclusion regardless of race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation and age. It encourages an environment that allows people from different backgrounds to reach their full potential.
Why does diversity matter?
A better understanding between different cultures, beliefs and life experiences can help make our world more stable, peaceful place and can help us develop as a society.
What can you do to encourage yourself and other people to live better together?
1. Why not visit an art exhibition about other cultures or beliefs.
2. Watch a movie or read a book about another country or religion.
3. Invite a friend from a different country or religion round to share your traditions and learn about theirs.
4. Explore music of another culture or country.
5. Learn about traditional celebrations from other cultures for example Hanukkah or Ramadan or Qingming festival in China.
6. Visit a place of worship different than yours and participate in the celebration.
7. Speak with other people about prejudices and stereotypes and share your views of life.
8. Volunteer and broaden your horizons.