Where To Go When You Are Ill in Body

There are lots of people you can go to when you are unwell, it's all about knowing who the best person to see is. Use this guide to help you figure out where you should go. 



For minor illnesses such as:  hangovers, a grazed knee, sore throat, cough or cold, etc.



For minor illnesses include: coughs and colds, indigestion, constipation, aches and pains.

Pharmacists can provide expert advice or information on medicines and healthcare.



Turn to your dentist for regular check ups, planned routine treatment and emergency care. Find out how to register with a dentist



For eye problems including: blurred vision, difficulty seeing well or discomfort (for example, red eyes, irritated eyes, itchy eyes, watery eyes, sticky eyes). Find out how to book an eye appointment



When your illness or injury just won’t go away, make an appointment to see your GP (or other healthcare professional at the doctor’s surgery). They can carry out examinations and provide advice and information about conditions such as vomiting, ear pain, sore belly, backache. Remember to keep your appointment. Find out how to register with a GP

NHS out-of-hours service


For immediate advice when your GP or dental surgery is not open, call NHS 24 on 111. This is how you get advice or an appointment with a doctor when your surgery is closed.

Minor Injuries Service 


Turn to a minor injuries service if you require urgent care for a minor injury such as: cuts, minor burns, sprains. Find out where your nearest minor injury service is. 



Only turn to 999 or to your hospital’s A&E department for serious illness or accidents such as suspected stroke, heart attack, head injuries, fractures or wounds requiring stitches